Monday, April 1, 2013

I am a BYU student. I have facial hair. And I am surprisingly not judged for it. A few years ago, I would not have gotten away with it so easily. One of the first things I noticed upon returning to BYU after more than 2 years was the number of men with facial hair. There are lots of them, as I write this in the library I see three.
I am proud of my fellow students and professors for not staring at me, not judging me, and not questioning my worthiness.
This article (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56042739-78/beard-beards-byu-church.html.csp) in the Salt Lake Tribune is excellent, it's everything I wish I'd written. It chronicles the Mormon beard's descent from encouraged to shunned. It made several good points:
1- Missionaries used to be REQUIRED to grow beards, it was considered more mature.
2- Jesus and God have quite the beards according to most Mormon art and accounts! So they would not be accepted as temple workers.
3- The standard only changed in the sixties when beards equaled hippies. This is no longer the case.

Hugh Nibley said in 1973: "The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism... the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances."

Hopefully whoever makes the rules at BYU will come around one day! The students and faculty are already way ahead of them. Happy bearded Easter!


1 comment:

  1. Ter ou não ter barba, eis a questão.
    É interessante lembrarmos que Jesus era judeu e como tal, usava barba segundo a cultura judaica... Quem o retratou não dispensou a barba, e como o Filho é semelhante ao Pai, obviamente a imagem de Deus é um homem de barba, tal qual o Filho. Até nossa dispensação quantas mudanças históricas e verdades reveladas nos vem propor o bem estar? Talvez por uma questão de higiene, uma barba bem aparada denota também bom gosto, não que seja uma questão de regra ou disciplina somente. Eu, particularmente não gosto de beijar um rosto barbudo. Boa páscoa pra você também e uma ótima conferência, sem barba! Gina

    ReplyDelete